STATISTICS

Road Safety Overview

The crash statistics in 2016 represent an increase of 15.6% and 6.77% in fatalities and serious injuries respectively but a reduction of 11.7% in crashes over the 2015 figures.

For the third time running, the Traffic System Risk (TSR) index has hit the single digit mark (9.24 fatalities/10,000 vehicles).

There was an increase in fatal crashes by 7.6% in 2016, but at the regional level, the Greater Accra region recorded the highest percentage decrease of -22.1% in fatal crashes followed by the Upper West Region (-2.5%). All the remaining regions recorded increases in fatal crashes; Northern (34.9%), Volta (34.5%), Eastern (30.4%), Brong Ahafo (26.1%), Upper East (20.5%), Central (18.8%), Ashanti (11.3%) and Western (2.2%).

2016

Road Traffic Crash and Casualty Situation

2015

Road Traffic Crash and Casualty Situation

Fatality by Sex

Male & Female

Vehicles

Types of Vehicles Involved

In addition to the above, in 2016, the Ashanti Region recorded the highest number of fatalities, totalling 403 deaths which represented 19.3% of all fatalities in Ghana. This was followed by Greater Accra Region (367 deaths; 17.6%), Brong Ahafo (299 deaths; 14.3%), Eastern (293 deaths; 14.1%), and Central (213 deaths; 10.2%). These five regions together contributed over three-quarters (75.5%) of all the road traffic fatalities in Ghana. It is worthy to note that, for the first time in three years, the Ashanti Region has recorded the highest number of fatalities as it used to be Greater Accra which was the leading crash-prone region based on the number of persons killed in road crashes. The worsening traffic safety situation in the Ashanti Region may, in part be attributed to the relaxation of traffic enforcement, in recent times, on the main Accra-Kumasi highway.

The road user class with the highest share of fatalities continued to be pedestrians (824; 39.5%) followed by motorcycle users (437; 21%) and then bus occupants (364; 17.5%).The crash statistics show that the pedestrian fatality share once again fell below the 40% mark resulting in an annual reduction of -0.84% in pedestrian fatalities over the 2015 figure. This is in sharp contrast with the annual increase of 59.0% for bus occupant, 35.3% for motorcycle and 17.5% for car occupant fatalities. Safety measures for pedestrians should be sustained whiles those for bus occupants should be refocused and stepped up to stem the situation.

Motorcycle users also stood the greatest risk of death in traffic, registering the second highest road traffic fatalities (21.0%) after pedestrians, thus overtaking fatalities among bus occupants (17.5%) and car occupants (10.7%). Though there was a drop of -9.3% in motorcycle fatalities in 2015, it increased by 35.3% in 2016. This calls for pragmatic measures to curb the rising rate of increase in motorcycle fatalities.

Similar to 2015, approximately 60% of road traffic fatalities continued to occur on the non-urban sections of the road networks in 2016 while the remaining 40% were on the urban road networks. Compared to 2015, there was an increase in fatalities on both urban and non-urban road environments by 12.4% and 17.9% respectively. The impact of speed humps on fatality reductions on the highways needs further investigations. Until 2016, there has been a consistent decrease in road traffic fatalities on the non-urban sections of the road networks since the year 2012.

Furthermore, the month of December recorded the highest monthly fatalities, for the third year running.  Compared to the national population pattern, males (78.5%) are over-represented in road traffic fatalities, accounting for about 3.7 times those of females and that the 26-35 years age-group continued to be the modal age group in the fatality statistics.

Our Administration

Rev. Ismaila Hansmittson Awudu (CEO of Hansgroup of Companies)

Rev. Ismaila Hansmittson Awudu (CEO of Hansgroup of Companies)

Chairman

527

PROJECT COMPLETED

 

134

HOUSE RENOVATION

 

1231

WORKERS EMPLOYED

 

94

AWARDS WON

 

BENJAMINE

BENJAMINE

Businessmen

I am so happy, my dear friend, so absorbed in the exquisite sense of mere tranquil existence, that I neglect my talents. I should be incapable of drawing a single stroke at the present moment

ELLIOTT

ELLIOTT

CFO

I am so happy, my dear friend, so absorbed in the exquisite sense of mere tranquil existence, that I neglect my talents. I should be incapable of drawing a single stroke at the present moment

JACK

JACK

Leaseholder

I am so happy, my dear friend, so absorbed in the exquisite sense of mere tranquil existence, that I neglect my talents. I should be incapable of drawing a single stroke at the present moment

BRANDS & CLIENTS

We’ve Worked with Lots of Famous Companies and of Course We’ve Made Them So Happy!

CONTACT US

+233 (0)302-661-117